wordpress staging and testing

Erica Goleman
Hello- does anyone who runs Wordpress (multisite/network) as your primary CMS have a really great system or process for cloning your production environment for testing and staging? We've been doing this in different, non-ideal ways over the years and are hoping someone else might have it down to a science and be willing to share tips.

Thanks,
Erica

Re: wordpress staging and testing

McBride, Ian S.

I won't claim it to be really great, but we have a set of bash scripts available here that we use to clone sites from production which handle the database export / import, URL rewriting, and disabling of certain plugins that we don't want to run in development (such as those that send emails when posts are published).

https://github.com/middlebury/wordpress-tools

Ian McBride

Middlebury College

Re: wordpress staging and testing

Charles, Kimberly J
We would be interested in this information as well. We manage the code
base in git, but haven¹t figured out a good way to sync the sites/content.

Kimberly Charles
Director of Digital Communications
Public and Government Affairs
Digital Communications
The University of Illinois at Chicago
601 S. Morgan St.
1322 University Hall, MC 288
Chicago, IL 60607

On 6/29/17, 3:28 PM, "Erica Goleman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello- does anyone who runs Wordpress (multisite/network) as your primary
>CMS have a really great system or process for cloning your production
>environment for testing and staging? We've been doing this in different,
>non-ideal ways over the years and are hoping someone else might have it
>down to a science and be willing to share tips.
>
>Thanks,
>Erica

Re: wordpress staging and testing

wbaumgardner@calbaptist.edu

We run our blogs on Wordpress multisite. We basically do something similar to what Ian does; we clone a copy of everything to our dev server, run tests/dev/whatever, then copy over changed files manually to production. Not pretty, but helps us prevent breaking Wordpress.

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: 951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

Re: wordpress staging and testing

Dozier, Ken
I've been told that BackupBuddy is good for this kind of thing.

Ken Dozier | Web Services Manager | Barton College
P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893 | www.barton.edu
252-399-6596 | [hidden email]

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Waylon Baumgardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

We run our blogs on Wordpress multisite. We basically do something similar to what Ian does; we clone a copy of everything to our dev server, run tests/dev/whatever, then copy over changed files manually to production. Not pretty, but helps us prevent breaking Wordpress.

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" value="+19513434876" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

Hello- does anyone who runs Wordpress (multisite/network) as your primary CMS have a really great system or process for cloning your production environment for testing and staging? We've been doing this in different, non-ideal ways over the years and are hoping someone else might have it down to a science and be willing to share tips.

Thanks,
Erica

Barton College
P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they were addressed.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.

Re: wordpress staging and testing

Steve LaBadie

We use WP Clone by WP Academy

Steve LaBadie | Web Manager

East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania

Stroud Hall, Room 307B

200 Prospect Street | East Stroudsburg, PA 18301

(570) 422-3999 | [hidden email] | www.esu.edu

I've been told that BackupBuddy is good for this kind of thing.

Ken Dozier | Web Services Manager | Barton College

P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893 | www.barton.edu

252-399-6596 | [hidden email]

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Waylon Baumgardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

We run our blogs on Wordpress multisite. We basically do something similar to what Ian does; we clone a copy of everything to our dev server, run tests/dev/whatever, then copy over changed files manually to production. Not pretty, but helps us prevent breaking Wordpress.

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

Re: wordpress staging and testing

Adam Norwood
Hi Erica,

We (us here at the University of Texas School of Law) have the following setup for our WordPress Multisite network (roughly 50 sites, so small-ish):

• WordPress core is checked out and version controlled through git, pointing at the official GitHub mirror

• Our /wp-content/ directory is moved outside of /wp/ (makes it possible to easily destroy and recreate /wp/ if something goes amiss)

• Our custom plugins and themes are separately controlled with their own git repos — this part could be fancier, if we were using something like Composer or even git submodules to orchestrate all of them in one configuration. The git repos all have at least “master” and “dev” branches (the latter we use on our TEST environments), and as we add new code we tend to use feature branches on our local development machines.

• The /wp-content/uploads/ directory is synchronized between environments (manually, on demand) using rsync, which is fast and consistent.

• The databases are kept in sync using the WP Migrate DB Pro plugin which is easily worth its weight in gold: https://deliciousbrains.com/wp-migrate-db-pro/ It makes bouncing data between environments as easy as clicking a push/pull button and waiting a few seconds, has wp-cli integration, search-replace that doesn’t scramble the serialized data, and even can handle migrating `/wp-content/uploads/` content if you want (I use rsync because it’s far faster than trying to go over https for our level of media content). This plugin is seriously high quality, and has saved dozens of hours of labor that I used to do manually.

Hope that helps!
-Adam

--
Adam Norwood
Senior Web Strategist / Developer

On 6/29/17, 3:28 PM, "Erica Goleman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hello- does anyone who runs Wordpress (multisite/network) as your primary CMS have a really great system or process for cloning your production environment for testing and staging? We've been doing this in different, non-ideal ways over the years and are hoping someone else might have it down to a science and be willing to share tips.

    Thanks,
    Erica

Re: wordpress staging and testing

Cambre, Aren

We use WordPress Multisite, too. We have no dev/test environment and just tell our users that all updates will be installed rapidly and that break-fix will be in response to detected problems. J Really, I’m not kidding. We have a project to create an automated test/dev environment, but its cost/value ratio has kept it far from the top of the queue.

We strategically reject requests for plugins or themes that are not well supported by the author. This is done to reduce the probability of upgrade-related problems.

So far, this regime hasn’t been a major issue. We may have one or two major outages a year caused by bum themes or plugins, but combing through the error log usually tells us which one to disable within minutes.

As the responses to this indicate, despite its popularity, WordPress is still not enterprise-grade software. It is still fundamentally a single-blog system with hacky workarounds. Even MultiSite is more akin to flying multiple individual blogs rather than a true enterprise system. Its security system and database structure are a mess. I like WordPress for its core strength, but I am thankful that we’ve managed expectations and limited mission-critical uses of it.

I think the future of WordPress at my university is outsourcing it.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology